8.19.2011

Small Jab

Have you ever had someone (wait....why am I starting with a question when I know everyone has)......

So today was my first day back to work and for the most part it was great. My room is coming along (mainly thanks to my awesome husband who stapled and covered my entire back wall in black paper. LOVE. THAT. MAN), meetings were under way, and work began!

We had a staff meeting this morning and we were all pretty pumped to see eachother after being apart for the summer. One teacher that I am particularly close to asked how my summer was. I was pretty excited to share with her the updates on our soon coming foster child and also filled her in on our summer travels.

(this is the part where I share something that has happened to most people, so there is really no need to ask if it has happened to you)

Her immediate reaction to me saying, "We are getting our foster child in December" was her shaking her head and saying "no." I'm not really sure what that meant but I walked away before I could let myself feel upset.

I'm sure we have all been there both in saying these things and hearing these things....discouraging someone from doing something they either feel called to do or something good they want to do for humanity.

I was deflated. I realized immediately that she would no longer have say in my life or influence; I wont be sharing with her anymore. It's scary enough as it is...stepping out into something we have no experience with, to let someone else bring us down in the process.

The small jabs seem to always hurt the most.
(strange....the bigger arguments just don't "sting" like the small, underlying, and intentional comments)

1 comment:

Jim, Heather, Jordan and Madison said...

You and John are two of the most inspiring and admirable people I have ever known. To bring a child into your home, that isn't yours, love him, teach him the ways God intended and to give with no expectations of anything in return is truly a gift that few possess! I am so thankful to call you friend and will lift you UP every single time someone thinks of shaking their head at you! Selfish people don't understand sacrifice like that, bottom line!