8.06.2011

Meeting Michael

Meeting Michael was a surreal experience....I think every emotion I was expecting to feel happened along with about 100 more! We first sat down and spoke with his therapist about about what to expect and how the next hour would go. We would present ourselves as "volunteers" until everything in the process of us being his foster parents was final. Michael walked into the room and everything I had pictured, vanished. He wasn't the red headed kid with freckles that I was preparing myself for, he was taller than I thought, glasses, and a really sweet face. He shook John's hand (at the age of 10) and was incredibly polite as we played games and just "hung out" getting to know him. His manners were mind blowing along with his calmness.

After playing a few "Go Fish" games, he then took us to see his room. Seeing where he stays was the hardest part for me. I put my smile on and seemed very excited but on the inside I just thought of how cold it felt. There were no photo's...not one, of his family or people close to him. H.E.A.R.T. B.R.E.A.K.I.N.G. The first item going in his room at the Crowley's Casa, is collage of photos of the fun things we will have done together. He needs something to remind him that people love him and I'm determined to have that start here.

Oh Michael.....I'm pretty sure you already have my heart.

No comments: