8.03.2011

Ode to my Mother

I've only been married a year and already I feel that John and I have an inseparable bond, one that can only be broken by death. Yes, this is very ideal and "honeymoonish" but I truly feel that he is my partner for life, given to me by God. (sigh and blush)

Tonight I had dinner with a woman that I met a year ago in a restaraunt. She and her husband were out celebrating their anniversary, and John and I were out to celebrate a free dinner thanks to a gift card! We clicked at the restaraunt and have been getting coffee and meeting ever since. She is almost 60, has no daughters, and enjoys the relationship as I do. She is just one of those great women that is just a pleasure to know. Tonight she shared with me that her marriage is on the rocks and that she will most likely be stepping out of her marriage. I was shocked to say the least---they have been married for 29 years. She explained to me how she has always just dealt with the way he talks and treats her, she expressed her frustration that he doesn't man up and lead the marriage. Why aren't the men in our society leading marriages? I don't feel like this in my marriage but I see it so often and it's heart breaking! Men have no idea how to lead their families and wives then feel compelled to step up and run the show. How is this not being taught to men in church??

Then I look at my parents marriage. I don't know that my father always did everything right, but I know that for the majority of my parents marriage, my dad did everything he needed to so that our family would function successfully. He was the leader of our family and it was evident in his actions. After 25 years of marriage, my mother is remaining by my fathers side while he serves a 10 year prison term. Talk about marriage....talk about committment...my mother is laying that word to rest. God has given her a heart for my father and the strength it takes to survive in their marriage. My mom is rockin it out....setting the bar so high for my own marriage. If she can make it in that situation, how can I ever second guess my own marriage not working.

Mom-thank you for showing my true committment in marriage. Thank you for showing me that marriage is not about convenience, happiness, or comfort. You have taught me more about marriage than any other single person in my life and your actions speak louder than words.

No comments: