1.30.2012

Hurt on Happy Days

A friend of mine linked her friend's blog on facebook, I couldn't help but become instantly attached. I started reading their blog when their daughter Lydia became weeks away from her final days on earth. Her mother writes the most incredible, beautiful and vulnerable blog I have ever read. I check the blog daily which also means I cry daily!

It's so strange because I've never met these people. There is something universal about pain though. Something that unites people together, which is maybe why we often feel the need to complain about the pain we go through, it connects us to one another.

My dad's birthday is upon us and although he has not yet experienced his final days on earth, sometimes it feels it for those of us waiting out here. I can't call and wish him a happy birthday, or send him a package or give him a hug. It's a matter of waiting and I'm trying to wait as patiently as possible. I don't want nor do I need sympathy...it's different than that. It's just a longing, not in a bitter way but a deep black hole kind of way.

Lydia's birthday is today too! As I read her mothers anguish over missing her daughter I cry thinking of her pain. Imagining what it must be like to actually lose your own child after 8 short years. I know the pain I feel in missing my dad and I know that it doesn't come close to her pain but yet I feel connected. It's a bond of longing for a parent or a child.

Somedays hurt. Somedays are just fine.

I have to rest in the peace God has given us that the calling he has for my father in there, is greater than my hurt out here.

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments: