1.29.2012

We continued in the book of John today at church....I love preaching that is expository. Verse by verse is the most effective method for reading the Bible in context! Love it!

In today's passage, Jesus is preparing his desciples for when he leaves this earth (the crucifixion is about to happen) and he will send the Holy Spirit in his place to guide us. In the passage, the desciples grow uncomfortable and Jesus acknowledges their "sorrow" about him leaving.

The desciples wanted Jesus to stay, they wanted the direct teaching, they wanted communion with the Savior.

Later in the passage Jesus explains that he must leave so that the Holy Spirit can come to convict them of their sins.

This is the point in the sermon when I started to feel restlesness in my seat. God was clearing stating in this passage the reason for the Holy Spirit = conviction. I daily thank the Lord for the guidence the Holy Spirit gives me, but in actuality, he is opening my eyes to the sin in my heart. The main question I have to ask myself is....Do i reject what he shows me or do I repent?

Often I feel the "guilt" of my sin and try to correct it or who I sinned to, but I lack in repentence. I grieve God's heart more than man but my focus is always on man. I think the Bible uses the term "helper" in reference to the Spirit because without the Spirits help......as sinful and selfish, prideful human beings, we can't see our sin.

We can't repent for something we can't see. The Spirit gives sight to our sin.

Time to open my eyes and repent!

No comments: