3.06.2012

Birthday's past


I can remember being young and birthdays were a somewhat casual event at our house. That always seemed to be fine. Nice dinner, birthday gift, sleepover, bowling, something fun but not over the top. I can imagine when I have kids the whole birthday thing will be very similar.

One thing that really sticks out in my mind about birthdays when I was young was the cake. I always wanted a Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake, which my brothers both got once, but mine were always homemade. That really seemed to be a thorn in my side. Apparently so much so, that I have told John the story over and over again.

Last night, as part of my birthday dinner, my sweet husband fulfilled my birthday cake dream and we indulged in a Dairy Queen cake after dinner. YUM!

As an adult, I have to say, it was more work on my mom to make a homemade cake than it would have been to just pick one up at the store. In hindsight, I should have felt like the more privelaged child, but in my ignorance, I did not.

And, as an adult, I now realize that my children will have a homemade cake! (granted I make the time and have the dedication)

Thank you John for a great cake, and mom, thank you for taking the time to make mine for all those years!


On a side note....
Today at school I saw a kid passing out advertisements for his 12 year old birthday bash. DJ, snacks, the whole bit! My question is....where as a parent/host can you go from there? wow----6th graders really have it made now days!

No comments: