11.11.2011

She's his Rock


I'm sitting in a hospice room, praise music on the I-pod that my cousin brought, and waiting. It's such an odd thing.....waiting for someone to die. Thankfully, this experience has been positive; the nurses here are angelic, the facility is quiet, a personal chef bakes and cooks upon request, and most importantly, my grandma feels he is comfortable.

Several people from their small home town have popped in during the short time we have been here. It makes me truly miss the home town feel-everyone knowing and supporting everyone-it really is powerful! As I watched friend after friend come in to support my grandparents, I was enamored by my grandma. She is simply bliss.

I feel like a sponge that is soaking up all of this "life stuff" in the past month. From fostering and coaching, to losing a loved one. There are just these seasons of life when God's holy spirit reveals and plants wisdom in our hearts. Today has been one of those days, a day of revelation from the holy spirit.

Watching my grandmother, God allowed me to see to my future. Not the kind of crystal ball revelation, but a glimpse of what being a Godly woman is....in the future sense. I watched this 80 year old woman welcome and hug everyone, she helped the older gentlemen put on their coats, she spoke so kindly to every person she encountered even through the sorrow she feels. She set the pain of losing her husband aside to ask how others are doing, compliment the nurses, and serve people while they were here. That spoke volumes in itself.

Call after call, visitor after visitor, people came because of who she is. She has been such an amazing woman of God, endlessly loving and supporting everyone she meets. I want to be that. The holy spirit just spoke in my heart as I observed her grace, "Kylie, what you do now, and how you love and serve others, will last until your final day." I have thought of this logically before, knowing the relationships I form now will impact me even in my older age, but she was a walking testament.

I need to serve my friends at every chance I have.
I need to pour into others lives before I ask for them to pour into me.

I pray through my hardships, that God will give me the strength to continue serving and loving his people. I pray selfishness does not consume my heart.

Grandma...you have taught us well!

No comments: