11.10.2011

Saying Goodbye


Tonight John and I are preparing to drive to Ohio in hopes of a bitter-sweet goodbye with my grandpa. We have known for about a week and a half that time is up, and today was the final call that it's almost to an end.

I have such mixed emotions. I'm proud to say that I am the oldest grandaughter on both sides of my family. On the Merkle side, I love being the oldest girl because the family is overwhelmed with boys. It's a special place and I love the idea that I have accountability to the younger female cousins. It's truly an honor.

I know my grandpa as one of bad jokes, a sweet spirit, and a heart full of love for the Lord. His consistant love and faithfulness to his walk blows me away. I can remember being little and always seeing him at the kitchen table reading his bible. I can remember my senior year in high school when he started building me a wood cabinet and was still working on it this summer when I visited.

Grandpa was a great grandpa and an awesome husband. Part of his success is my grandma, the one he still holds hands with, the one he calls "Barbie" after Barbara.

I've learned from their epic marriage, their steadfast walk with the Lord, and his ability to lead his 5 children and 20+ grandchildren.

Grandpa, you will be missed, but we rest assured knowing that meeting our God, is a much greater moment than anything here!

No comments: