11.13.2011

He waited...for me :)

Living in North Carolina has given me the title of "furthest grandchild." Last weekend all of the cousins were in Ohio to visit my grandpa as we knew the time had arrived for his final days on earth. I being so far away, was hestitant to make the trip twice due to finances and time off work. Thanks to my cousin Kelly and husband, they convinced me it was money well spent and off we were to make the visit.

Grandpa held on, fairly unresponsive until I got there. He then went to heaven about 24 hours after I got to Ohio and it was truly the most awkward and beautiful experience I have ever had.

My cousin Kelly, John, my grandma, and myself were the only ones in the room when grandpa passed. It was calm, it was scary, and yet, feeling the holy spirit take his soul to heaven was indescribable. I felt a moment of desperation when I saw him slipping away and wanted to shake his chest screaming "keep breathing!" But, the holy spirit brought a peace to the room and we knew in our hearts the Lord was pulling him back to himself, in heaven.

The funeral will be beautiful. Sixty years of marriage. Raised 5 christian children. Enjoyed 18 grandchildren and 8 greatgrand children. He served his family and provided by working the land. He was truly....a good and faithful servant.

David Merkle-you are already missed.

No comments: