1.14.2012

Just an Idea


On Thursday I had my students analyze a Martin Luther King Jr. article, create a timeline, and write a paragraph explaining the impact King has had on our society. I opened my class by asking students what they knew of King.....their responses were telling.

"He was african american" (true)
"He helped black people" (true)
"He freed the slaves" (not so much)

It's amazing to me that we keep our kids from school to "observe" holidays. Why aren't kids in school learning why we have that holiday ON the holiday? Can anyone honestly say they are at home, teaching their kids about veterans, MLK, or why we have Memorial day? I can't say that if I were a parent I would either.

I was amazed at how much I learned from one short biography of Martin Luther King ...... he really did it right, and he did it with class. I never knew he spent time in India studying Ghandi, or that he put his own family at even great risk for the sake of others. I pray that man is in Heaven, I pray he knew Jesus because I would have to think God was pleased with his heart.

In honor of Martin Luther King Jr., I hope to see you in heaven!

No comments: