1.15.2012

Minimize

John and I had stopped at Barnes and Noble to pick up a book we need for our bible study at church. It's called DOCTRINE and I'm already impressed! John made a pit stop while I grabbed a random book off the shelf to browse through.

I don't remember the title but I took a lot from the book in a matter of minutes. The book was written by a woman who was dedicating 7 months of her life to minimize in 7 areas of her life. She then journaled her experiences and it was pretty compelling to read her thoughts.

One of the months was all about clothing. She allowed herself to choose 7 outfits (14 pieces) and the rest she donated. She was amazed at how people sympathized with her over giving up something so "important" in life. She said it was incredibly freeing to not stress over looking this way or that. She also no longer looked at other peoples clothing as a form of judgement.

Another month was dedicated to minimizing "things." She chose 7 items DAILY to donate that she had in her house. She of course started with the junk room, moved to closets, her childrens bedrooms, etc. Her kids learned so much about learning to give up "things" and appreciate the things they have. When you live in a 2000 sq foot house (like the author did), you have plenty to of items to eliminate---think of all of the things we "put away" for now.

With all of that said, she was amazed at how much her perspective had changed, she had changed. We often hear so many church sermons on being thankful and not making idols. Just today, pastor was talking about the 10th commandment of coveting, which applies to everything. We always want what we don't have and it's a sin. The grass is not always greener and your grass is the grass GOD has given YOU.

In my own life, coveting can often be one of my greatest sins......that and pride. God hates both. I rarely covet "things" but I often covet opportunities, recognition, and success. My heart doesn't treasures and yearns for a feeling of corporate success. Both forms of coveting are equally sinful and I feel the need, with God's grace, to minimize in my life. My areas may look very different than the author's of the book, but we all have excess that pushes us away from God.

What's your excess?
What can you minimize?

No comments: